Horizon sports tutor works magic with local football team.

Former Hereford United player Gary Stevens is coaching at Wellington

Taken from a recent interview with The Hereford Times Gary explains how he has helped the team to believe in themselves and the importance of hard work.

Stevens has been working with the villagers after manager Derek Williams realised he needed an extra pair of hands.

“I know Colin Williams, who is Derek’s brother, very well, and he said that Derek could do with a hand,” explained Stevens, who made 94 appearances for Hereford between 1987 and 1990.

“I said I would come in and do preseason training with them.

“It’s been going quite well.

“We’ve had a few mishaps, but the majority of the games have been quite good.

“We work very hard and, for the majority of the time, it’s all with the ball.

“We’ve not tried to change it drastically, the personnel is basically the same, but we’ve just changed it slightly in the way we play in the pitch and the formation.

“I’m looking at finishing as high as possible.

“The problem we’ve got though is that we don’t pay any expenses towards travelling, so we just get local lads.

“We’re not like some of the other clubs in the city – they’re paying money, but we don’t do that.

“We have to work with the resources we’ve got.”

Williams said having Stevens on board has been a big help.

“The training’s really good and he’s tactically aware,” he said.

“He’s been brilliant for the club and is probably the best coach in Herefordshire.

“I’m grateful to have him.

“I’ve stepped back a bit and he’s come in and made the work much easier for me.”

Wellington striker Josh Hunt also praised the role Stevens has played this season.

“I think having Gary Stevens come in has been a great help,” said Hunt.

“I think his training is superb and the boys are all together as a team, which is how it should be.”

Wellington are sixth in West Midlands (Regional) League Premier Division, but have lost their last two games heavily.

The villagers got hammered 8-3 at Bewdley Town, albeit without six first team players, before losing 5-2 to Lichfield City in the second qualifying round of the FA Vase.

Wellington twice took the lead against the Staffordshire side, but Lichfield hit back to advance to the next round.

However, Williams felt a bizarre decision by one of the referee’s assistants played a big part in his side losing the game.

Wellington were adamant that they should have had a throw-in that led to Lichfield’s equaliser.

“I don’t usually moan about the officials but two players went up and it was obviously our throw in,” said Williams.

“Everybody was ready for Luke Winter to take the throw and suddenly their bloke picks it up and we’re flat-footed.

“He then carries on and scored.

“At 2-2, they get their heads up and we collapsed.

“I can’t believe it.

“We’re 2-1 up and were well in control.

“But it was an unbelievable decision from the linesman, it wasn’t even a 50/50.

Hunt opened the scoring for Wellington with a crisp close-range finish in the fifth minute and the home side looked comfortable going into half-time.

Lichfield are top of Midland Football League Division One and they showed their quality after the break.

They equalised in the 51st minute through Joshua Hunt before Paul Jones missed a good chance for Wellington.

Williams’ side went back in front thanks to a fantastic strike from Adam Newbury in the 64th minute.

But Lichfield made it 2-2 through Dan Griffiths after Wellington complained about the throw-in decision and they then took the game away from their hosts.

Good work from Haston freed Dean Withers to fire home in the 71st minute and Haston made it 4-2 four minute left.

Griffiths sealed the win in stoppage time.